Wednesday, February 21, 2018

her industrious soul

Hi everyone, I am on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Blog today, sharing something a little different.
From the moment I saw this Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts art doll form, I had envisioned her in an industrial/steampunk fashion. What I was thinking was very different from my usual style, but I generally tend to go with an idea once I am inspired and modify, as needed, along the way...


I begin by removing pieces from the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts Art Doll Female - small card. Next, I cover each body part with collage medium and adhere Little Women text paper to one side. I find that positioning the pieces as a complete shape helps ensure that the paper is adhered to the correct side.
After the collage medium has dried, I use an exacto knife to trim the excess paper from the doll form pieces. I then coat the back side of each piece with embossing ink and cover with charred gold embossing powder. The powder is melted with a heat gun. 
While I have the embossing supplies out, I also heat emboss some pieces from the GSLC Steampunk Shape Set in charred gold, hammered metal, and vintage platinum embossing powders. I am considering using these pieces on the finished doll.
Once all the pieces are embossed, I begin to work on a background. I want to create something that resembles rusty or oxidized patina. In order to achieve this, I use Distress Oxide inks in walnut stain, cracked pistachio and spiced marmalade. The inks are smooched onto my craft mat, spritzed with water and then heavyweight paper is inked and heat set repeatedly. When I have achieved the desired finish, I splatter the page with distress ink in walnut stain. Lastly, I spritz the page with Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist in patina.
This paper will be centered in a large Idea-ology vignette tray, above a piece of "riveted metal" textured paper that I created using a Tim Holtz Sizzix embossing folder on copper colored Kraftcore cardstock. Once the paper is embossed, I add a layer of grunge with Distress paint in black soot.
 When I begin to layout the pieces on the background, I decide that I would like the industrious soul to have a petticoat beneath her cage crinoline framework. After consideration over materials, I decide to add a lacy feminine touch with a doily, die cut from a piece of sage parchment paper, that has been inked with Distress inks in walnut stain and ground expresso.
Once I have settled on all of the pieces I will be using, I begin to adhere everything into place with a strong glue. Since the pieces are arranged in a layered fashion, the process requires patience while each layer dries prior to adding the next. Everything is glued into place on the patina paper. 
  I trim the lace petticoat to fit beneath the cage crinoline. The cage is held in place with an Idea-ology word band. The band has been bent with a pair of wire shaping nylon jay pliers, and each side is secured with a piece of hemp cord that has been colored with walnut stain ink. The ties secure at the back side of the panel, accessed via 1/8" eyelets.
Once the cage is securely in place, the entire piece is attached to the "riveted metal" background that has been adhered inside the vignette tray.
Some Idea-ology industrious stickers as well as metal hex head fasteners to the top left and bottom right corners of the vignette tray complete the piece.


Thanks for taking time to check out all the details of my industrious soul.
Hope you find time to create something.
~Ann


I am entering this in:
SanDee & amelie's Steampunk Challenge - Anything Goes-Steampunk/Industrial
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - Grunge It Up
A Vintage Journey February Challenge - Melt It
  

35 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your industrial art doll. Clever idea to use the doily as a skirt and I adore your backdrop. Tracy x

Jennalee Anderson said...

Ann!! Where do I even start? This project is amazing!! I love the clock crown and the gears on the doll joints. The gear heart!! So many wonderful details!!

L Mahaffey said...

This is great, Ann. I love all the textures and the rich bronze/copper background is pretty dang gorgeous.

Two Mad Dahlias said...

This is ridiculously good. Knock your socks off good.

stacy hutchinson said...

Ann, this is SO COOL!! Like, shut the front door AMAZING!!! Awesome job, my friend!!!! Always listen to that little voice ❤️... YOU ROCKED IT!!

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Oh, I loooove this! Seeing it just increases my art doll addiction...guess I am a kindered spirit. Fabulous, beautifully made and excellent step by step post

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh Ann, this is one of the most amazing, inspiring pieces I've seen all year! I'm over the moon excited and inspired by this incredible work. Thanks for sharing! Hugs, Autumn

ann barnes said...

Tracy, thanks so much for stopping by the blog and for your wonderful comments, I really appreciate it! ~Ann xx

ann barnes said...

Thank you so much Jennalee, it made my day seeing your lovely and kind words! ~Ann xx

ann barnes said...

Thanks Lora! I loved how that embossed copper paper turned out. Thanks for visiting the blog. ~ Ann xx

ann barnes said...

You're the best Jess! Thanks so much for your encouragement, it means so much to me! ~Ann xx

ann barnes said...

Stacy, thank you!! I am so happy you liked her, I am definitely going to try to continue to let the spirit guide, its a incredible feeling to work outside the norm and push the boundaries. Thanks my friend! ~Ann xx

ann barnes said...

Loved working this doll, I am looking forward to creating more, for sure! Thanks so much for your awesome comments too, its aways nice to hear how the posts are seen from the viewers eyes! ~hugs, Ann xx

ann barnes said...

Wow Autumn, your comment makes my heart happy! You are always so nice to take the time to visit the blog, and your kind comments are always appreciated, today you truly gave me pause. It means the world to me that I have inspired you. I can not wait to see what you create! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! ~hugs, Ann xx

Jackie PN said...

Ann,
This is magnificent!! Holy cannolis! I love how your imagination traveled with this one! Every step is so cool, from the embossing, the background colors and that lace skirt and cage- WOW!
I totally love this piece and ,I really think you should submit her!
Talk to Linda EW in the group about the Steampunk magazine she submits to. This is totally a winner!
hugs,Jackie

ann barnes said...

Thank you SO much Jackie, your confidence in submitting this piece will probably result in my first ever submission. I truly appreciate your encouragement and also thanks for following along on my art journey, Your words of support mean so much to me. ~hugs, Ann

Anonymous said...

j'adore la texture et le montage que vous avez parfaitement harmonisé ,c'est une superbe poupée d'art .Merci de participé à notre challenge pour sandee & amelie's à bientôt dt Nate

ann barnes said...

merci, je suis honoré que vous diriez que

AlexaCzar said...

what a cool shadow box. nice work.
Thanks for showing is on Sandee and amelies Steampunk Challenge.
Greets
Alexa DT

sarascloset said...

Ooooh, I love your doll! I'm not a doll person, but this one really speaks to me, layered over the GORGEOUS oxide background and grungy "metal" panel! Squeal! That lacy petticoat--perfect! Oh, yes, this is indeed inspiring! And guess what? I just realized this would be perfect to add to our Melt It challenge at A Vintage Journey! I hope you'll consider playing along. Hugs! Sara Emily

ann barnes said...

Thanks so much for checking it out! ~Ann

ann barnes said...

Thanks so much Sara! I was really happy with how those backgrounds turned out too. I really appreciate you taking the time to visit and also mentioning the challenge, I think I will add it. ~hugs, Ann

Licho_Nie_Spi said...

Amazing Queen of Time and imagination!
Thanks for showing your work on Sandee&amelie's Steampunk Challenge!
Hugs!

Emma Williams said...

You already know how much I love this project, Ann...it's just stunning and such a clever piece of art! The movement that you've created within this box is amazing and that riveted background makes me so happy! Thank you so much for sharing this awesome piece of work with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! <3

ann barnes said...

Thank you so much for visiting the blog to see her!
~hugs, Ann

ann barnes said...

Emma, thank you so much for you kind words about my project. I loved making her and your comment means so much to me!
~hugs to you, Ann

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning, so glad I found your blog, I am now your latest follower😊

A Pink said...

This is Amazing ! Ann. Such an inspired creation that truly shines. Love it so much . Thanks for sharing it with us at A Vintage Journey x

ann barnes said...

Thank you. I am thrilled that you are a follower, that means a lot to me. hugs, Ann

ann barnes said...

Thank you! I appreciate you visiting the blog to have a look, so glad you like her. ~hugs, Ann

sarascloset said...

Hi Ann! Thank you for adding this beauty to our challenge at A Vintage Journey! Hugs!

ann barnes said...

Thanks Sara! Have a wonderful day ~hugs

sarascloset said...

Ann, if you get a minute e-mail me at sled capon at g mail dot com. I have some product information to share with you. Thanks! Sara Emily

sarascloset said...

I am so excited to see your amazing creation take Top 5 spot at SASPC! Well done! Hugs!

ann barnes said...

Sara Emily, Thanks so much, I was so excited she was chosen! ~hugs to you!