Tuesday, February 13, 2018

key to my heART

Lately, I have found myself fascinated with assemblage. This form of art can take on so many variations, especially depending on the artist and their interpretation. Some of Pablo Picasso's cubist constructions are considered assemblage. There are many artists, both historic as well as contemporary, creating these three dimensional pieces of art.
Today I am sharing "key to my heART" an assemblage piece that I created.


My base is an ATC Shrine with Feet by Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts. These laser cuts are made from sturdy chipboard and arrive flat, then you assemble the piece yourself. This makes it very easy to alter with paper or paints prior making it three dimensional. 
 I began by selecting a paper pattern with a design that would complement the main focal point without overpowering it. I selected a paper from the Tim Holtz Mini Stash Christmas pad. Although the design is fairly bold, I intend to use distress inks to soften the impact. Using collage medium, I coat the face of each chipboard piece and adhere the patterned paper. I use a brayer to ensure that there are no air bubbles and to flatten the paper onto the surface. Once dry, I use an exacto knife to cut around the edges where the paper overhangs. I ink around the edges with walnut stain distress ink. Using black archival ink, I stamp the back and sides with a stamp from the Stampers Anonymous Classics #4 set.  
I would like the assembled shrine to appear that it is actually made out of wood. In order to achieve this effect, I trace the outline and cut pieces of wood grain cardstock to fit the outsides of each of the pieces. These cardstock pieces will be inked with gathered twigs, walnut stain and ground expresso distress inks, before being glued into place. 
Before I assemble the shrine, I add some ideology gilded accents remnant rubs on the main panel. 
I use tacky glue to assemble the shrine and allow it to dry. Next, I adhere some idea-ology (regions beyond) design tape around the edges of the main opening. I like to add a thin line of glue beneath the tape to ensure that it doesn't lift once the project is completed and handled.
After the design tape is in place, I glue the wood grain pieces to the outside of the shrine. Be sure to ink the edges of the cut cardstock so that it blends well and looks like authentic wood, with no white edges showing.  I did not cut pieces for the inside of the legs, I simply used my ink to achieve a matching color. I select a piece of coordinating cardstock for the back side of the main panel of the shrine. Using the second stamp from the Stampers Anonymous Classics #4 set, I stamp the paper, and allow it to dry.
My design incorporates an idea-ology locket and key, as well as a mercury glass heart that I found while gathering supplies for valentine making. In order for the heart to be suspended from the keyhole, I need to attach the locket plate so that it sits away from the main back panel. I will be using wooden beads that I have painted with black soot distress paint.
I secure the beads to the back of the locket in a location that will be hidden from view. Once that glue has dried completely, I mark the location where the locket (via the beads) will be adhered to the back panel. I drill two small holes at the marks so that I can use a fastener for additional stability when securing the beads to the panel. Everything is attached with a strong glue and set aside to dry overnight. The last piece to be adhered is the key at the top.



I hope you enjoyed this step by step, and maybe even want to try to create your own assemblage.
Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog.
May your valentines's day be filled with love. 
~ Ann

6 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE this...a treasure to display! Just gorgeous!

sarascloset said...

Love, love, LOVE!

Jackie PN said...

Ann, this is so excellent! I am really happy I read all the way through to see just how you put this together- the wood grain paper- perfect! Love how you extended the piece to hang the heart from. The process was well thought out and the piece is fabulous!!
Thanks so much for sharing!
Jackie ")

ann barnes said...

Thanks you so much Anita! xo

ann barnes said...

Thank you Sara! xo

ann barnes said...

Thanks for taking the time to check it out Jackie, and for you kind comments! xo