Tuesday, March 13, 2018

liberty paper doll

Hi everyone, I was recently invited to join a paper doll swap group by one of my artist friends, 
Jackie P Neal. She is wonderfully creative; if you aren't familiar with her work,
 a stop by her blog Creating Without Crayons is a great place to start. 
I was so happy that Jackie invited me to be a part of this group. I look forward to sharing my creations, as well as their respective swaps, so along with my usual posts, these will pop up occasionally and hopefully you will find other artists that may inspire you.
The theme for the first swap was artist choice.


Using some of my favorite Character Constructions doll stamps, by Catherine Moore,  I created Liberty. She is made up of stamps from the paris flea, and french laundry collections. I have always had a love of all things patriotic and wanted to create my doll with that in mind. I chose papers in that color theme (red, white, and blue) and a stamp that I felt expressed strength and pride. Her crown and necklace charm are finished with some of my new favorite, Baked Texture, embossing powders in Deep Sea with a bit of ancient amber sprinkled in. I added red rhinestones around her neck for the charm to hang from. With a name like Liberty, she needed a torch, so I created one to fit in her hand. Here are a few more close-up pictures:

Swap partners in the group are chosen randomly. I am so fortunate, this initial exchange, to be swapping with another artist whose work I have admired for quite a while, Linda Edkins Wyatt. If you haven't seen her work, her blog is wonderful, definitely take a minute to check it out! Here are some pictures of the fabulous doll I received from Linda:


She arrived without a name, and I haven't had a chance to give her one yet, I have been too excited to consider what name might suit her best. She is is outfitted with the most gorgeous skirting, and all the beautiful patterns and textures that make her limbs add to her beauty. Another one of my favorite parts is her torso, the embossing of the word "seek" and that cool reclaimed watch piece are amazing. 
I just love how she is jointed in so many places. Especially at her knees and elbows so she can do these cool yoga poses. How awesome are those funky shoes! She is so much fun, I really love her.
I hope you have enjoyed seeing our creations. If you are interested in joining the group, please don't hesitate to ask here, in the comments, or head over to the Paper Doll tab on Jackie's site to find out all the details!

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Enjoy your day, I hope it's a creative one!
~Ann






14 comments:

Tristan Robin said...

two terrific paper dolls ... such fun art exercises with terrific rewards! thanks for sharing them!

Jennalee Anderson said...

What a fun swap!! Love your Liberty doll and the way you used Deep Sea!!

Unknown said...

Two such amazing dolls. This is such an exciting group to be in. Xx

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

I am so glad that Jackie matched us up! I loooove my Liberty and had a great time making your new doll. Can’t wait for the next trade!

Jackie PN said...

Ann, I couldn't be happier than to have found you and met you on the net! And thrilled that you are playing along!
Your Liberty Is darling and I just love the CC dolls you paired together- she is amazing!
Also so happy that you and Linda were such a great match- randomly- it worked!
Looking forward to next swap!
hugs,Jackie

ann barnes said...

Thanks Tristan, this is such a talented group, I look forward to seeing the evolution in my creations and seeing many fabulous dolls from fellow creatives!

ann barnes said...

Thanks Jennalee, I am in love with the baked textures, probably will be suing them on the majority of my projects! This is a really fun swap group, I am looking forward ta making time to work with my CC stamps more.

ann barnes said...

I agree Julie, I am really looking forward to seeing all of the creativity! Thanks.

ann barnes said...

Me too Linda, I love the doll you created, and definitely want to try to incorporate more artsy parts to mine next time! Looking forward to sharing with this group!

ann barnes said...

Jackie, I am so happy to have connected with you, my arty friend! I loved playing with my CC stamps and am looking forward to the next swap! Thank you so much for including me! hugs to you!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Oh my goodness these are fun!!! I LOVE the way you dressed them up...oh those red hounds tooth pants!!

sarascloset said...

Ann, I am delighted you are playing along with Jackie's paper doll exchange. What fun! Liberty is a wonderful example of your creative genius! I love how you've used the Baked Textures to decorate her crown, pendant and skirt-how cute is that over those houndstooth leggings. She is quite the stylin' mama! Hugs!

ann barnes said...

Thanks Anita, sheer fun playing along with the paper doll swap!

ann barnes said...

You are so sweet and always leave such wonderful comments, thanks you ever so much Sara Emily, I truly appreciate it. I was thrilled when Jackie invited me to play along, it is simply fun to mix and match and create arty dolls for swapping, hopefully, I will expand on my creativity and learn from the other artists! hugs to you!