Wednesday, May 16, 2018

steampunk shapes

Hello everyone, today I am sharing some steampunk inspired artist trading blocks on the Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts blog. Artist trading blocks have always drawn my attention. Each set is so unique to its creator and each block unique unto itself. The multitude of surfaces presents so many opportunities for creativity and artwork to be showcased; yet it remains a relatively small scale size, making it very manageable.
I started with Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts artist trading blocks. Three blocks in graduated sizes arrived flat with score lines along  the areas intended for folding to make it easy to construct. 
 Before I begin, I fold each piece along the score lines and create the box. This allows me to visualize which side of the tabs will be glued into place. To make it easier to add embellishments later on, I do not glue the top flaps into place, leaving the boxes "open". Once the blocks have been formed, I paint the outsides with black acrylic paint and set aside to dry.
 Each artist trading block has six sides to be embellished. For each block, I created a full piece of art that was cut into squares to fit the sides. While creating the pieces of art, I tried to keep in mind the size increments that the paper would be cut into. The smallest size block is a 2" cube, and each ascending block size is 1/2" larger. Using Distress and Distress Oxide inks, Tim Holtz stamps and stencils by Stampers Anonymous, as well as Seth Apter stencils from Stencil Girl, I created the papers to adorn my trading blocks.
 Once I was satisfied with the overall design, I cut the sheet into squares. Each square was inked along the edge with black soot Distress Oxide ink to create a seamless transition when adhered to the painted block.  These squares were then adhered to the six sides of the block.

   While I attach the pieces of artwork, I constantly keep in mind ideas for the next layer of embellishments, this helps me decide the locations for the different pieces.
I found it easiest to work on one block at a time, meaning that I created a sheet of artwork, cut it to size and attached it to the corresponding block before starting the next piece of artwork.
Although I was using the same color inks, and similar themed stamps and stencils, I wanted each block to have its own unique quality. You might find it easiest to create all of the artwork at the same time. It's best to work in whatever way you are most comfortable.
I searched through my stash of bits and pieces and found elements I felt went well with my steampunk theme; then I  die cut gear pieces, which I coated with gunmetal alcohol ink, to complement the palette.
The embellishments were attached to the blocks, using eyelets, brads and adhesive. The possibilities for these artist trading blocks are endless, they could be done in any style you choose, each creating a very different display.


I hope that you have enjoyed my photo heavy post, and perhaps are inspired to create something of your own. Thanks so much for stopping by the blog today.
~Ann

I am entering this project in:
SanDee & amelie's Steampunk Challenges: May-Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Stencil it!
      

28 comments:

Jennalee Anderson said...

Ann the color palette and steampunk theme are perfection!! So many details to take in!!

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

These are fabulous! I have been wanting to do some blocks, thanks for the source info😀 They all look great. The colors and embellishments are perfect

ann barnes said...

Thank you so much Jennalee! I really loved creating these blocks, so happy that you stopped by! hugs to you ~Ann xx

ann barnes said...

Thank you Linda, They were simple to construct and I love the way that they can be left open, to easily add other elements, until you are ready to close them. Thanks so much for stopping by and I am really happy that you like them. hugs. ~Ann xx

Two Mad Dahlias said...

I love how you created one large sheet and then cut to size. That was such a smart way to do this. The finished product is simply stunning.

Cathy - CMP Designs said...

I love how you created the art work for these boxes! These are gorgeous and I just love all the gears....and all the ideas that your project has inspired!

ann barnes said...

Thanks Jess, I think it could have even been made with one huge sheet to create all 3 blocks instead of one at a time, but I do love that each block is unique as a result of my method. Thanks so much for your kind words and for taking time to visit! ~Ann xx

ann barnes said...

Thanks so much Cathy, love being inspired as much as inspiring others! So happy you stopped by today. Happy creating ~Ann xx

simo said...

Wow Ann...Amazing...never heard about Artist Trading Blocks..but it sounds like a lot of fun! Love everything about them, the colours scheme and the embellishments are, as you know my go-to choice, so these really speak to my heart. Kudos my friend!!!Brava! ❤

SewPaperPaint said...

Ann, your ATBS are awesome works of steampunk art! I adore your DOX backgrounds and the amazing mini collages on each side of the cubes. What awesome creativity you have, always inspiring and pushing product boundaries! Hugs, Autumn

Christina said...

Ann, these are awesome!! Thnx for sharing your creativity❤️❤️ - WoW

ann barnes said...

Thanks so much Simona, this is a wonderful comment from you, and it means a lot that you stopped by the blog to check out my project. Thank you. ~Ann xx

ann barnes said...

Thanks Autumn! So glad that you enjoyed them, I loved creating all the artwork for the sides and putting everything together. I appreciate you taking time and leaving a comment! ~Ann xx

ann barnes said...

Thank you Christina! So happy you liked them. hugs to you, Ann xx

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

LOVE your ATB and all the cards...addicting to keep making more I'm sure. LOVE the colors with the images too...so striking!

ann barnes said...

Thank you so much Anit! You are so kind to take the time to drop by and leave a comment, I really appreciate it. Hugs! ~Ann xx

Maura said...

Ann, your artist blocks are great! I love the subtle colors of the background and the striking images you added. Wonderful little steampunk pieces! Thanks so much for sharing it here at Sandee and amelie's Steampunk Challenges! hugs, Maura

ann barnes said...

Thanks so much Maura, I loved creating them and being able to really work in the steampunk style. Thanks for stopping by the blog! hugs to you, Ann

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a fabulous creation! The colors and texture on the background are so beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

sarascloset said...

Ann, I admire your artwork on these ATB's from many levels. First, the colors and steampunk theme really speak to me, and you have some many fresh ideas in creating your collages. (The pen nibs pointing at the dot made me smile!) Secondly, your work is impeccable and so well thought out. And lastly, your photography of your finished blocks is delightful! Great tutorial to top it all off! Thank you for sharing this amazing inspiration! Have a great week! Hugs!

ann barnes said...

Thank you so much Meihsia, you are very kind. I appreciate you stopping by the blog, hope you have a creative day! ~Ann xx

ann barnes said...

Sara Emily, reading a comment from you always highlights my day. Thank you very much for your kindness. These blocks were such a treat to make. For whatever reason, I feel so much freedom in this style, which really allows me to just let it happen. When I was considering how to get the best picture, I has a feeling this sunroom I designed would be the key, with the slate floors and stone walls, the colors played really well together. Thank you again for stopping by, and always for sharing your thoughts! hugs to you, Ann xx

Claudia N. said...

These look awesome and as if they have been great fun in the making too! Great steampunk mixed media art, Ann! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

Claudia x

ann barnes said...

Thank you so much Claudia, I really appreciate you taking time to visit the blog. I really loved cresting these! ~Ann xx

Jackie PN said...

Very cool Ann! You really know how to work those Distress products! Has Tim seen your art yet? He should!
Jackie xo

ann barnes said...

You are the sweetest my friend! Thanks so much for your support and for taking time to check out my art! It means so much to me. As for Tim, that would be great huh? hugs to you! ~Ann xx

Seth said...

I love everything about this project. Everything with a Capital E!

ann barnes said...

Yay! Thrilled you liked this one Seth! Love your stencils and stamps. So appreciate you stopping by and leaving some love! Thank you. ~Ann xx