Thursday, March 14, 2019

out of the ordinary


 Hi Everyone, this month the Emerald Creek Dares Challenge is inspired by the song Ordinary Day by Great Big Sea. When I listen to the song, it helps me to understand that one's state of mind plays a huge roll in the way the days unfurl. Each day can be filled with adventures or challenges, depending on how you look at it. I find myself best able to tackle whatever life throws at me by being as prepared as possible.
For me, this "preparedness" to ensure a positive frame of mind can take the form of a list, or a quick sketch of an idea that pops into my head, sometimes it's a thought or something inspiring jotted down on a piece of paper to be put to use when needed. I have created a small wrapped journal to keep handy which will hold all of these special things.
I cover an Eileen Hull wrapped journal base with handmade inked papers. On the short closure flap, I emboss a stamped image along the edge with Seth Apter baked texture in patina oxide. This powder creates the most wonderful finish, full of interest. 
I want the inside to coordinate with the colors of the exterior and to have a soothing appearance. In order to create this effect, I partially stamp (with Versamark ink) using a script stamp along the paper. This is coated with the new Emerald Creek Allure powder in Iceberg
Iceberg is a gorgeous translucent powder in a blue aqua color. It is very fine and works really well on super detailed images. When the embossing has cooled, I ink the paper with distress inks. The embossing creates a resist. I love the how the translucent color stands out against the background.
The album is assembled and mini notebooks and pocket folders are inserted. Now it is time to add the special details. 

I coat some feathery flourish chipboard laser cuts with patina oxide embossing powder and heat set. When cool, these are added in various locations.
Emerald Creek daisy brads are coated with embossing in patina oxide to coordinate and give a special finishing touch. I create a belt closure and add embossing to potions of the buckle. 
I am looking forward to putting my mind at ease by having this journal in hand. 
Perhaps you have been inspired by my take on this month's challenge? We would love to see your interpretation of Ordinary Day. Join the #ECMAR2019 challenge, if you dare!
Thank you so much for stopping by,
~Ann


supplies used:
copper 1/8" eyelets
Distress inks:
ground expresso, walnut stain
Distress oxide inks:
broken china, spiced marmalade, vintage photo, walnut stain
Distress paint: walnut stain
Eileen Hull / Sizzix wrapped journal scoreboards die
Emerald Creek Embossing Powders:
Baked Texture - Patina Oxide
Allure - Iceberg
Emerald Creek Forge:
daisy brads
Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts chipboard pieces:
feathery flourishes
Lineco: self-adhesive linen hinging tape
Tim Holtz / Stampers Anonymous stamps:
entomology, ornate trims
Tim Holtz Ideaology: buckles, fasteners
Versamark embossing ink
Xyron permanent adhesive


10 comments:

Nancy Wethington said...

Beautiful Ann. Love the texture you've created.

Kristy Tyra said...

This is so awesome!

Michelle Golz said...

Holy smokes this is amazing

Redanne said...

Ann, this journal is stunning, I love the background colours and the Patina looks fabulous. The belt is the perfect finishing touch. Anne x

Robin said...

What an incredible journal. The background colors and the Patina is amazing I really want to touch this journal.

bkazoo said...

This is fantastic. I LOVE IT!

Friday night convos said...

This journal is beautiful, Ann! Thank you for sharing how you made it!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Now that's a fantastic journal! WOW!!! Oh so grungy and love the buckle!!!

Astrid Maclean said...

An absolutely amazing journal Ann and a great idea to keep one for those special thoughts and ideas! The rusty patina effects on both the cover and the inside pages looks absolutely amazing, stunning work all round!!

sarascloset said...

Ann, the aged effects on your journal are stunning! I love the patina oxide details and those gorgeous inked backgrounds! The belt closure is just the icing on the cake! So sorry to be late, but that's how my blogging goes these days! I hope you are doing well, and enjoying these first days of spring! Hugs!