Thursday, April 11, 2019

rainy day blues

Hi everyone, today I am on the Emerald Creek Dares Challenge blog, sharing "rainy day blues."This month's theme for the challenge is Singing In The Rain. Anything you want to create that has to do with music, rain showersor water would be perfect for the challenge. I love a good rainy day, the gray skies and raindrop sounds can be quite soothing. For this piece, I wanted to play on those feelings and really work with different blue colors, and of course, water. 
I begin with an umbrella man die cut. The umbrella portion is coated with embossing ink and Seth Apter's Baked Velvet Eclipse embossing powder by Emerald Creek. When heated, this powder creates a fairly matte finish, that is such a gorgeous shade of black. I want the man to appear dry under the cover of his umbrella, so he is left un-embossed. When the umbrella has cooled, I draw lines with a glue pen where the water would run down the spines of the opened top, these are covered with Seth Apter's Deep Sea Baked Texture. When the glue has dried securing he embossing powder, I heat set it to a shining watery finish. The umbrella man is complete and is set asides I can work on his setting.
Next I want to create the scene. To do this I use an architectural stamp. I stamp the image with archival ink and then I color it in with distress inks using a water brush.
Once the colored image is dry, I cut a piece of clear acetate to cover the image and its surround. I ink a waterdrops background stamp using VersaMark Ink. I stamp all areas of the clear acetate then sprinkle Agean Sea Baked Velvet (a beautiful translucent powder) over the page. I carefully heat set the powder to create the look of raindrops all over the page. This sheet will overlay the solid architectural image.
The umbrella man is attached to the water droplet sheet using collage medium. Beneath his feet, I use a VersaMark embossing pen to create the look of a puddle (a result of the umbrella shedding its water) and sprinkle more Aged Sea powder, then heat set. At the top left and bottom right corners, I want to add something to ground the composition. To do this, I emboss two decorative chipboard pieces with Oil Rubbed Bronze Allure embossing powder. These add to the architectural feel of the design as well as create a framework to the piece.
  
When the embossing has cooled, the decorative corners are adhered to the acetate sheet with Distress collage medium. A thin piece of Sookwang adhesive along the left edge of the acetate secures it to the stamped page beneath. The entire composition is secured to a card base.
A closer view of the Oil Rubbed Bronze decorative corner;
 
and the Agean Sea puddle beneath his feet.
I hope that you are inspired to participate in the #ECAPRIL2019 challenge, we would love to see your interpretation of the theme Singing In The Rain. Join us if you dare.
Thank you so much for stopping by,
~Ann 


Supplies used:
Acetate, clear
Blank Page Muse Waterdrops Background Rubber Stamp (sc0094-01)
Distress Ink:
antique linen, chipped sapphire, faded jeans, pumice stone, stormy sky, weathered wood
Emerald Creek embossing powders:
Agean Sea Baked Velvet, Deep Sea Baked Texture, Eclipse Baked Velvet, Oil Rubbed Bronze Allure
Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts: Wrought Iron Set (D44D)
Tim Holtz/Sizzix: Umbrella Man Bigz die
Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous Architecture Stamp Set (CMS369)
VersaMark embossing ink: pad and pen


  

1 comment:

Redanne said...

Ann, this is totally stunning! I love the architecture stamp (so perfect for you) and the shading you achieved, but what you have done with the acetate just gives it so much more depth and interest. It really does look like it is raining and umbrella man is perfectly dry - a clever and intriguing piece - I love it! Anne xx