Thursday, May 9, 2019

a rose for all occasions

Hi everyone, this month on the Emerald Creek Dares Challenge, our theme is "flowers on the wall."
 I hope that you are able to join us as we are inspired by the Statler Brothers song and feature flowers in our work. Today I am sharing handmade cards featuring roses. Cards that are suitable for all occasions, including the upcoming Mother's Day.
I like to keep a few handmade cards at the ready, just incase an unexpected need comes up. These cards are typically general in design, allowing me the flexibility to add just the right sentiment. For my project this month, I have created five varying base cards incorporating Emerald Creek's gorgeous, freshly picked rose stamp, along with Emerald Creek's mirror platinum embossing powder.
I start by cutting panels (4 1/4" x 5 1/2") from Bristol paper. I like having a heavyweight base card stock because I will be using water and ink to add color to the images. I want to be make each base card a little different, while only using the one stamp. This is achieved by rotating the image and creating different patterns with the stamping, as well as using different colored inks to watercolor the embossed images.
Using VersaMark ink, I stamp the rose onto the panels in various patterns. You will notice my embossing ink pad is labeled as "clean", I do a lot of mixed media projects that incorporate embossing. It is easier for me to keep a clean pad for special work where I don't want any contamination. The pad I use for my mixed media work is covered with inks and even different bits of powder that have somehow worked their way in. Since I am using a fine, light colored embossing powder on these cards, I want to ensure a crisp clean stamp impression.
Once I have stamped and coated each card with embossing powder, I heat set all the cards. I have found it easiest to emboss multiple cards at the same time, that way my heat gun stays at optimal heat and I do not have to warm it up for each separate card. I love the look of this embossing powder when melted. I think these cards would look wonderful done in any of the fine metallic powders Emerald creek offers: mirror gold, silver dollar, kettle copper, or rose gold.
When the embossing has cooled, it is time to begin "watercoloring." I chose to use a different color for each base, to add variety. I prefer the look of having all the roses on a single card done in the same color-way. This is not necessary. The sky is the limit when it comes to embellishing the images, let your imagination take you where it may!
Once all of my roses and leaves are colored and have dried, I add a wash of watery blue surrounding them. I like the way it grounds everything; although again, not necessary. once dry, some of the card bases are left as is and slipped into my card organizer to be finalized whenever the need arises; others have been completed with die cut or stamped sentiments. I look forward to sending these beautiful cards to their recipients.
I hope that you are inspired to create something with flowers to join in our challenge this month.
 Thank you so much for stopping by, I truly appreciate it!
~Ann

I am entering this project into these challenges:
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge: Add Something Metallic
(I used mirror platinum embossing powder)


Emerald Creek Supplies used:
Emerald Creek Art Stamp: freshly picked rose
Emerald Creek Embossing Powder: mirror platinum

Other Supplies used:
Bristol paper
Colored Cardstock
Distress Inks:
aged mahogany, broken china, mustard seed, peeled paint, salty ocean,
spiced marmalade, spun sugar, tumbled glass, worn lipstick,
Sookwang tape
Tim Holtz/Sizzix Alterations: Stitched Ovals dies
VersaMark Embossing Ink
Wagner Heat Tool
Waterbrush

3 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

These are all so excellent, and such a good idea to have so many on hand. LOVE the embossing and coloring!

Claudia N. said...

These are so beautiful, Ann! Love how you've coloured them and all the gorgeous variations you've made! A lovely collection! Thanks so much for the kind words on my blog today! You've made my day!

Hugs,
Claudia x

sarascloset said...

Ann, your cards are so pretty! I love the variety of designs--you have been very busy! Embossing the roses is genius and you've done a remarkable job of coloring these! I have this stamp, and it's a favorite from EC! Hugs!