Thursday, October 10, 2019

grateful

If there is one month I associate with the fall season, it has to be October. 
Where I live, this month offers witness to the glory of mother nature by means of an autumnal show of stunning color. We watch as the leaves turn gorgeous shades of golden yellow, bronze, and red, before they are shed in preparation for a winter's lull. As I appreciate all the wonder that is presented to me, it gives me a wonderful opportunity to really give thanks for all that I have. This is the inspiration behind my gratitude journal for the Emerald Creek Dares Challenge this month.
I begin by stamping the Emerald Creek Oak Tree Stamp with Archival ink onto watercolor paper that has been colored with a wash of Distress ink. Using a stamping platform, it is easy to re-stamp the upper portion of the tree with VersaMark embossing ink. 
I sprinkle embossing powders over the leafed section of the tree in a random pattern. I use Turkish Bronze, Taos Sunset, and Burnt Copper Leaves powders; each of which is absolutely beautiful on its own; however, I thought by using a blend of powders, I could achieve the variation that is so typically seen in nature. Once the embossing has cooled, I color the stamped and embossed image of the tree with distress inks. I also stamp the word "grateful" along the top edge. This panel becomes the cover of my gratitude journal. Using my Xyron creative station lite, I add adhesive to the back of the panel, and attach it to the notebook die cut. 
More of the inked watercolor paper is used to create the interior panels for the journal. These pieces are cut to size and then stamped with decaying leaf images with embossing ink. These leaves are coated with Burnt Copper Leaves embossing powder and heat set. When the embossing has cooled, these panels are attached to the interior of the book. 
I run my embossing pad along the sides and bottom of the front cover then add more of the Burnt Copper Leaves Embossing powder and heat set. This creates a wonderful finished edge that coordinates with both the inside and out. 
The back of the gratitude journal is covered in a faux wood paper created using a 3D embossing folder and inks to create a realistic looking (and feeling) panel. Another section of this faux wood runs along the top spine of the journal. 
Paper twine is strung between two eyelets to secure the signature inside. I want the signatures to be removable so that each year I can complete a new month of entries and keep the old ones to look over and know just how filled with blessings my life is.    
One thing I know I am grateful for is all of you, my followers, I appreciate you taking the time to stop by the blog and for all of your wonderful comments.
I hope that you are able to find time this fall to soak in some of the beauty that nature has to offer.
If you have the opportunity to create something fall/Halloween inspired, please consider joining this month's Emerald Creek Dares Challenge.
Thank you so much for stopping by today. 
~Ann
 xxx


I am entering this into the following challenges:




supplies used: 
1/8" eyelets
chipboard
Crop-a-dile tool
Distress Archival ink: ground expresso
Distress inks: 
broken china, brushed corduroy, forest moss, ground expresso, rusty hinge,
 vintage photo, walnut stain,  
Eileen Hull/Sizzix notebook die
Emerald Creek Art Stamps:
Emerald Creek Embossing powders:
paper twine
Tim Holtz/Sizzix 3D Texture Fade lumber
Tim Holtz/Stampers Anonymous leaf prints stamps (CMS273)
Tim Holtz stamping platform
VersMark embossing ink
watercolor paper
Xyron Creative Station Lite

12 comments:

sarascloset said...

What a beautifully made journal, and I love that you have chosen to make it a place to record the events/things you are grateful for. The cover is stunning both front and back, inside and out.The colors of the tree look so natural--you have chosen the perfect powders to emboss. I really love this, Ann!

Sylvia Larkin said...

Amazing,Ann! Great tutorial and beautiful journal

Edzellinni aka Linda Edkins Wyatt said...

Absolutely lovely! The colors, the textures, and the word are all perfect! Lovely idea to use the faux wood with the tree image

Jeanne Kelly said...

Beautiful job! Love your tree.

eileen hull said...

Beautiful Gratitude Notebook Ann. The changing of the seasons is magnificent around here too. I have to say I was totally fooled by that paper that looks like wood! Love this book!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

WOW!!! The wood look is perfection, and love that tree! What a great theme idea for this journal too...you are wonderful!

Redanne said...

Ann, I have been over to see how you put this stunning album together, I am in love with it and have left you some love over there!

Thank you SO much for joining in with us this month at Mini Album Makers. Hugs, Anne xx

Words and Pictures said...

What a fantastic album - the woodgrain is perfectly rustic and that coppery tree is stunning. I think I've got some of that powder hiding in the stash somewhere... clearly I need to hunt it down! Gorgeous seasonal journal - I love it.
Alison x

Let's Art Journal said...

Beautiful album! The autumnal tree on the cover looks amazing with the embossing powder you used - perfect 😁. Thanks so much for joining the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! Creative wishes, Jo x

kristie said...

This is lovely!!

txcn363@yahoo.com said...

Honestly, Ann...where DO you hide your cape? What a crafty superwoman you are! I have GOT to make a point of visiting your blog on a regular basis!! I have wanted to comment on EVERY entry (but I’d be up all night!) ðŸĪŠ I hope you know, even if I haven’t the time to say so, as often as I’d really like to, I want you to know I am seriously one of your biggest fans! (personally and as an artist 😌 you’re one of my favorite peeps!)

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

I adore what you have created Anne bringing so many lovely elements together to create one journal. That Tree stamp is stunning. Thank you for sharing with us over at Mini Album makers. You've made my day!! Creative wishes Tracey (DT)