Monday, October 28, 2019

the other side

Have you ever observed something so beautiful you were compelled to see what was inside?
The sheer beauty of it so incredible, you are drawn to it with no resistance.
That you succumb to the pull,
 only to find that what is inside is not at all what you had expected?
The other side is different,
 it is not glistening, it is somber, and quiet.
There are is no shimmering glory, only a dark and contemplative place.
This shrine was created drawing upon such an experience.
The Relics and Artifacts Gothic Arches Set spoke to me.
 Throughout my creative journey I have always admired the designs of the past.
The truly gifted architects and craftsmen that created everlasting structures.
I learned of them in my architectural studies, I researched them in my field experience, I draw upon them for their principals and attention to detail. I want to create a piece that reflects these elements.
I hope to invoke the warmth and glow of the stained glass windows that would be found within gothic mullions. The incredible clarity of vibrant colors and golden details highlighting everlasting designs. The same warmth that draws you to experience it from within. The exterior faces are finished using alcohol ink and gold paint, capturing the light like a beacon. The windows are stood on end to form a bay simulating a small chapel or apse.
Inside, I envision an old stone church. One created by masons, masters at their craft. The faux stone finish is stenciled on with texture paste and painted stone by stone, just as the structure would have been erected. A "wooden" floor mimics the timber floorboards.
And within the niche created, a statue of our lady, the Mother of Mercy stands. She is sculpted from Apoxie Sculpt and a Relics & Artifacts face, as taught by my fellow Muse, Sherry Matthews, in a 2016 Live from the Tribe video. The sculpture is painted, crackled and gilded. A somber presence, a reason to pause and reflect on all of the graces we have been given.
I have been blessed with many opportunities in my creative journey, 
both in the architecture field as well as the arts. 
I want to thank Sandra and David Evertson for the opportunity to be part of the Relics & Artifacts team these past months, 
and to wish them and my fellow Muse all the best as I continue on my artful journey. 

I truly appreciate you taking the time to visit today.
~Ann
xxx


I am entering this into the following challenges:





11 comments:

Linda Wyatt said...

Just fantastic! What a wonderful idea to have such different sides

sarascloset said...

Ann, your post is stimulating in every way, from your thoughts and words to your stunning piece of artwork! I love the 'stain glass' from the exterior view and the faux stonework on the interior. And I learned a new word to wow my husband with in Scrabble (aspe)! Thank you for your inspiration, and dare I mention, we have an 'Is It Real' challenge theme over at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog this would be perfect for! I hope you'll enter it! Off to see your other latest masterpiece that I've missed! Hugs!

sarascloset said...

Oops! I meant apse. Duh! And I also forgot to say how wonderful your sculpture is! Just wow!

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

What an amazing creation!

Redanne said...

Ann, I love the way your describe your creations in your post and this one is no exception, it is wonderful. When I first moved to England I spent many, many hours visiting castles and old churches, as much for the incredible stonework as the magnificent stain windows. You took me right back to those days. The stain window element is stunning and I just love your faux stone walls, it really is a masterpiece - I love everything about it! Anne xxx

sarascloset said...

Ann, I'm just so excited to see this masterpiece in the gallery at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog! Best of luck to you! Hugs!

Words and Pictures said...

Wonderful work... the stonework, the stained glass - it all captures exactly the mystery and contemplation you are talking about.
Alison x

Suzanne C said...

Gorgeous art! I love the mosaic and the stained glass! Beautiful inspiration for the "It Looks Real Challenge" at the The Funkie Junkie Boutique.

Maggi said...

WOW! You really captured all the real things with your faux techniques! Thanks for sharing with us and joining in the Funkie Junkie challenge.

Ginny @ Polly's Paper Studio said...

What a stunning piece of mixed media art! So creative and vintagy. Thanks for joining us for our challenge at the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog. Crafty hugs from Ginny at Polly's Paper Studio : )

Jenny Marples said...

Ann this is breathtaking in it's beauty and attention to detail. Reminding me so much of shrines seen in France where their cathedrals have enormous and colour filled arched windows surrounded by imposing brickwork, it has a feeling of age that truly makes it for all the world seem like a precious relic. Thank you for joining us at The Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog xx