Thursday, November 14, 2019

aspenglow

This month the theme at Emerald Creek Dares is "aspenglow." We would like to see anything you create with a snowy, wintery feel, perhaps inspired by the John Denver song with this title. As the weather has suddenly turned cold here, and we've even seen a few snowflakes in the air, I thought I would create a piece that could be put out with my winter decorations. Emerald Creek has quite a few embossing powders that could work their magic in the snow department; I have chosen to use blizzard, one of Seth Apter's baked textures, for the snowy accents.
I begin with a mini Etcetera thickboard tag. I first add a coat of white gesso to each side and, when dry, a layer of weathered wood distress paint is sponged onto the surface and allowed to dry. To create the look of falling snow on the tag, I use texture paste through a stencil. When the stencil is lifted, I sprinkle a layer of the blizzard powder onto the wet paste and set aside. (Note: it is important that you allow the texture paste to completely dry before heating the powder. If you heat too soon, the paste becomes puffy.) Once the paste is completely dry, heat set the powder.
With the background complete, it is time to move on to the snowy evergreen trees.
The trees begin as different sized chipboard laser cut shapes. They are painted green with forest moss and peeled paint distress paints. I add the color with a sponge to give the look of texture. Using a foam  sponge, I add Versamark embossing ink on the surface of the trees. This is then coated with a layer of forest foliage textured embossing powder. Since I hope to keep a textured appearance, I rub some of the areas with my finger to give varied coverage. I then heat set the powder.
This process is completed on all three trees.  Now it is time to add the snowy accents. Using my Ranger emboss it dabber ink and a paintbrush, I add embossing ink along the tops of the branches. as if the falling snow has been caught. I also paint some lines of ink within the central tree section to give a dimensional effect. The blizzard embossing powder is poured down from the top and sticks to the areas where the ink has been added. The snowy areas are heat set, then set aside to cool.
The back side of each of the trees is reinforced with a painted skewer stick, this allows them to be attached at varying distances away from the background (tag) white still retaining their rigidity.
Using Etcetera ledges, I create a base for the tag. The base is painted and then covered with texture paste and embossed with the blizzard powder, similar to the snowy background process. I die cut three chipboard deer and create a dimensional animal to stand tall in front of the forest of evergreens.
When everything is secured in place, I add flecks of watered down gesso to the entire piece.
Here are some close ups of the piece:
I hope that maybe you are inspired to create something snowy for the Emerald Creek Dares Challenge this month, after all, it's always better when we can play in the snow without the extra work of shoveling.
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by the blog,
I truly appreciate it.
~Ann
 xxx



supplies used:
chipboard
Distress collage medium
Distress Paint:
antique linen, forest moss, ground expresso, peeled paint, picket fence,
vintage photo, walnut stain, weathered wood
Emerald Creek embossing powders:
Blizzard baked texture
Forest Foliage allure
Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts: pine tree shape set
Ranger: Media white gesso
Ranger: emboss it dabber
Ranger: texture paste: opaque matte
skewers
Tim Holtz /Sizzix Alterations: prancing deer (660033)
Tim Holtz /Stampers Anonymous Etcetera:
mini tag, trims bat/web set (ledges only)
Tim Holtz /Stampers Anonymous stencil: speckles (THS021)
VersaMark embossing ink
Wagner heat tool

4 comments:

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Pinned this beauty! Absolutely stunning and the shimmer is wonderful...I can totally hear the snow softly falling!

Redanne said...

Well, you have definitely inspired me to (finally) get out the Christmas goodies and make something! I love 3D projects and I absolutely adore this gorgeous creation Ann, the trees look amazing in the snow and the reindeer is just so perfect in the setting you created. Love this! Hugs, Anne xx

Words and Pictures said...

That's a wonderful wintry forest - beautiful textures. What a fantastic tag.
Alison x

sarascloset said...

Oh, my goodness, Ann! I just love this snowy home decor piece! Seth's powders make for some great fuss-free snow, and the reindeer seems very pleased to to romping among your gorgeous pines! Sending hugs!