Thursday, January 9, 2020

love wins ~ a guest designer post for the funkie junkie boutique challenge

Happy new year everyone,
I hope that you enjoyed the holidays.
I am honored to be guest designer for the Funkie Junkie Boutique Blog's current
challenge: tic tac toe. This is truly a fun challenge that Cec Wintynok is hosting
and there is no end to the possibilities; you are sure to want to join in.
To complete the challenge, simply select any vertical, horizontal or diagonal line
from the graphic below and create a project combining all three items from your chosen
 line. Be sure to visit the challenge blog here to see all of the rules, as well as gather
inspiration from the awesome FJB design team.
Let's play tic tac toe!
For my project, I have created a fancy fold card, incorporating heat embossing
as well as ribbon. Love is in the air with Valentine's day right around the corner,
so I thought it would be fun to create a themed project and get a head start on valentines.
To begin, I fold a 12x12 square of cardstock into quadrants, then once diagonally.
Use a bone folder to ensure the fold lines are crisp. Once the creases are set, push the
diagonal creases towards the middle and the paper folds into a 6x6 card that opens to
reveal the full 12x12 expanse. I love that aspect of this style card, there is so much area
 for embellishing. If you would like to see a more detailed blog describing the process
for creating fancy fold cards, click here.

Once the card base is prepared, I decide on the theme.
I die cut a square of white bristol with the organic die, leaving a bit of extended
length to weave a piece of ribbon. This ribbon is long enough to wrap the card
and tie at the side, keeping it closed. Using distress inks and distress oxide inks,
I color a length of crinkle ribbon to match my card, as it is drying I spray the
ribbon with a small amount of distress mica spray in aged brass to give a
bit of shimmer in the light. The ribbon is set aside to dry.
Next, I heat emboss a wildflower stem die cut with charred gold embossing powder.
 I coat the die cut piece with VersaMark embossing ink, sprinkling the powder
onto the ink and then set it with my heat gun.
When the embossing has cooled, I layer the piece onto three more (non-embossed)
identical die cuts and secure together.
This gives the wildflower stem dimension when it is attached to the card front,
distinguishing it further from the intricate background it sits atop.
I secure a die cut "love" sentiment to the ribbon.
With the card front complete, the inside presents so many opportunities for
personalization. Staying with my valentine theme, I add special marbled papers
 to the triangular spaces, and then begin laying out the composition.
I use heat embossed love struck cherubs, hearts and stacked words.
I leave spaces for personal love notes
and in the upper quadrant I create a frame with embossed chipboard
that a special picture can be slipped into to personalize the card even further.
I think this will be a wonderful valentine to present to someone special.
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by my blog.
I hope that you are inspired to create some handmade valentines and
perhaps join in the fun at the Funkie Junkie Boutique challenge.
Wishing you all a new year filled with happiness and love.
~Ann
xxx


supplies used:
bone folder
bristol
cardstock 12x12 sheet
Distress Collage Medium: matte
Distress ink
Distress Oxide ink
Distress Mica Spray
Emerald Creek Craft Supplies embossing powder: charred gold
Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts: chevron frames
Sookwang double sided adhesive
Tim Holtz Ideaology: crinkle ribbon, kraftstock,
Tim Holtz Sizzix Alterations dies:
handwritten love, organic, shape strips, stacked words: valentines, wildflower stems #1
VersaMark embossing ink


   

5 comments:

Cyndi Landrigan said...

Absolutely love everything about this! Thanks for sharing

Tamera said...

Delightful! Thanks fo much for the detailed tutorial. I’m a super basic card maker so it was fun to see this folder card design. Fantastic!

Annie said...

Huge congratulations on your GD spot at F&F Ann x I adore your card x Love the outside and the details inside are amazing xx
TFS and Happy New Year

Annie x

Words and Pictures said...

Congratulations on a great guest spot over at FJBB - your card is fabulous. I love those glints of gold and the bold contrast of the colours, and the folded structure is very cool.
Alison x

sarascloset said...

Ann, I love your fancy fold card! The wildflower stem is sensational layered over the organic die cut. The colors on the ribbon are stunning and gives the effect of marbling like the papers you've used inside. This is a really cool card design. I'm so happy you provided the tutorial, because I would love to give it a try! Thank you so much for being our special Guest Designer at The Funkie Junkie Boutique blog! PS: My apologies for being late; still playing catch up!