Monday, July 22, 2019

wish flag collaboration for StencilGirl

I love joining Tina Walker's collaborations for StencilGirl®. I have been fortunate to participate in a few, the most recent one being Wish Flags. We were asked to "create a wish flag(s) using StencilGirl® stencils + anything else you may have. They can be any size, shape, number, color, etc. but I ask that only SG stencils be used. All other mediums and products can be used. Your choice!"
For this endeavor, I have created miniature wish flags. Pieces that can be worn or easily transported wherever your adventures take you.
My first inclination for this project was to create something flowy, using old sheeting material and hand dyeing it; then using bleach to remove color with stencils as a guide... A combination of uncooperative weather as well as some artful inspiration altered my course. As I scoured the internet searching for a better understanding of prayer/wish flag origins and meaning, I stumbled upon an artist that creates mini prayer flag pins. I knew immediately this would be the direction my flags would follow. 
I was so excited when StencilGirl® introduced their ATC Mixup line of stencils. The scale is perfect for working small. At that time I was using a small sized art journal and the stencils (when cut down into 9 separate pieces) were easily tucked into the cover for convenience. StencilGirl® has a number of the ATC Mixup stencils in their collection from various artists. For my flags, I used June Pfaff Daley and Seth Apter's ATC Mixup stencils. Once I began creating, I could not resist trying a few larger stencils on my small flag pieces. These turned out very interesting as well. It always amazes me how a section of a whole can give an entirely different look!
I began with handmade papers torn into different shapes, most being approximately ATC (artist trading card) size; however, some were then torn further into small strips and one piece was a large remnant, leftover from when I had torn the other pieces. Using a brayer I added a light layer of Paper Artsy paint, and allowed it to dry. The ensuing steps were just random creativity using the stencils with paints and sponges. I had so much fun layering different colors and designs. 
 (Art Deco Medallion S454)
When I was satisfied with the results, I began gathering a few elements from my stash to incorporate. Each wish flag is unique and the elements added all varied for that reason. I still have a few more stenciled papers that I look forward to working on in the future. I have included a list of the StencilGirl® stencils I used at the with links to the StencilGirl® store at bottom of this post for your reference and have noted which ones were used on each flag under their respective pictures.
Tina Walker has a column on the StencilGirl® Blog that is always inspiring. Today she is sharing all about the WishFlag Collaboration, and some of the flags from each of the designers that participated. It is sure to be an amazing post. Click HERE to check it out if you have not already, it is definitely worth the time!
Thanks so much for stopping by today. 
Maybe you have been inspired to create your own wish flag, 
or even just to break out your stencils and create some art!
~Ann
  xxx 

1 comment:

Redanne said...

Oh Ann, your wish flags are gorgeous! I really, really love the starfish one and the seahorses are pretty amazing too. Beautiful work, as always! Anne xx