Thursday, August 1, 2019

regal residence


In the depths,
 under the sea,
reside the Queen and her King.
Long forgotten relics of what once was supreme,
they are lulled by the tides,
 at rest and now free.

Sometimes I look at a piece and am struck by an idea; the vision so clear that it is simply a matter of bringing it to life. When Sandra released the Relics & Artifacts Mermaid Set, I was fascinated by the intricate detailing and various pieces, and I was bombarded with creative ideas.
Today I am sharing the first of these inspirations, a regal residence.
I chose the coral piece as the foundation because of the stability of coral formations and the way that they stand as a protective force for the shores. A resilient residence for the Queen and her King.
The Mermaid Queen and Merman King are painted with acrylic paints with ink washes for their tails. Golden accents are added with oil based paints and iridescent inks.
Seahorses have always been a source of fascination for me,
 their myriad of colors and adaptation skills are amazing.
I wanted to create realistic looking specimens with intense color hues.
 These pieces are finished with acryic paints and various inks, then splattered with gesso. The two seahorses stand guard against intruders.
The seashell, caught within the coral tentacles,
 is inked to mimic something that may wash up on the shore.
Perhaps it hides a secret inside.
The starfish details are highlighted in gold,
reflecting whatever light finds its way to the sandy shores.



I have truly been inspired by the new Relics & Artifacts mermaid set; I look forward to creating another project with these incredible pieces.
I hope that perhaps you are drawn to create something of your own.
Thank you for spending time with me today,  I really appreciate it.
I hope you have a creative day,
~Ann
  xxx


This post was originally published on Sandra Evertson's Muse blog.

Relics & Artifacts Mermaid Kit

1 comment:

Redanne said...

I have been over for a look Ann, this really is a beautiful creation! Anne xx