Thursday, September 12, 2019

art and soul

Hi everyone, September means back to school; 
the Emerald Creek Dares Challenge is embracing this event with the theme
 "Be True to your School"
 I realize that many different types of students all have varying opinions on what will be their "best class" this year. I was always partial to math class; however, one of my other favorites tended to be art. Using this as inspiration for my September project, I have created a panel titled "art and soul."
I begin with four square panels of Bristol board.
I then select different pieces of vintage papers from my stash that represent different educational subjects. I tear these papers into strips and pieces, then layer them onto the four panels using collage medium.
When the collage medium has dried, I add a layer of color with Paper Artsy fresco paint (butter). I also add layers of distress ink (fossilized amber and wild honey). When the inks are dry I stamp additional images onto the panels with black soot Archival ink and set aside to dry completely. 
Next, I coat each panel with a layer of embossing ink then cover with a layer of Vintage Beeswax Baked Texture. This layer is heat set and then allowed to cool. When cool, an additional layer of embossing ink is added, then once again, covered with Vintage Beeswax embossing powder and heated. I add an additional layer of stamped images with Archival ink between coats of beeswax embossing to create added depth. 
I continue adding the layers of embossing until I am satisfied with the appearance. One of my favorite aspects of the Baked Texture Vintage Beeswax is the rich warm colors that emerge as the layers are built, these layers and colors are further enhanced by the colors that you have added beneath.
Using Staz-On pigment ink (black) I stamp my final images onto the topmost layer of embossing. The incredible color wheel image fit perfectly with my theme and then I added the words "Art" and "soul" onto separate panels. The four panels were then attached to a square base panel that was painted with flat black paint.
I really love the way that this piece turned out, looking at all the different layers and color gradients within each panel is truly satisfying.
The vintage beeswax is an amazing embossing powder. It is now available in a larger jar, which I am thrilled about. I truly believe this powder is best when applied in multiple layers and the larger jar ensures you won't run out in the middle of a project. It is a really great value as well.
Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by and learn about my piece.
Maybe it even inspired you to join the Emerald Creek challenge this month.
 Here is a link to enter if you dare!
~Ann

supplies:
Distress collage medium:matte
Impression Obsession / Seth Apter stamps:
color chart (H18088), primitives (3193-LG)
Paper Artsy fresco paints: butter
Ranger / Tim Holtz Distress Archival Ink: black soot
Stampers Anonymous / Tim Holtz stamps:
brush collection (P2-2111), mini worn text (CMS156) 
Staz-On Pigment Ink: black
VersaMark Embossing Ink



3 comments:

A Pink said...

Absolutely Superb! Anne in both design and execution . Every step of creativity was just the perfect one to take as the final result demonstrates . Sounds like we would have been kindred spirits at school as I too had a love for maths and Art - always my faves along with sport too .

Hugs x

Redanne said...

I have been over to see how you made this beautiful project and I love it! Who doesn't love Seth's Vintage Beeswax embossing powder - I have just stocked up on it. Your final stamping was such a great choice and brings the whole piece together beautifully. Anne xx

Words and Pictures said...

Absolutely love these monochrome panels - such a cool grungy look.
Alison x