Thursday, November 19, 2020

flower power

Welcome to the Glacé Paints from Ann Butler & Emerald Creek Blog Hop! 
I am so happy to have been asked to be a part of this special event. 
For my project I have created a "flower em-power-ment" accordion style booklet, something that can be opened and offer a positive message to whomever reads it.
This project uses Heat Set Watercolors from Ann Butler & Emerald Creek. Since this is a new product for me and I like to refer to color swatches, I begin by creating a swatch chart for the eight heat set paints. 
Next, I cut sheets of watercolor paper into 3 1/2" x 4" rectangles. These will be the pages in the book. 
 Using ATC Mixup Missigman #2 Botanical stencil and Botanical Wildflowers stencil as guides, I paint the different botanicals in vibrant colors. 
When the paints are "set" with a heat gun, they tend to take on a shimmer effect. I preferred to use the paints in a thicker consistency than I would normally use a watercolor. This is completely up to personal preferences, the paints are just as vibrant when used with more water. 
The wooden front and back covers were stamped using archival ink and then colored with the heat set watercolor paints. I also used gold IZink pigment ink for the golden highlights and miscellaneous marks.
Once all of the pages were complete, I added additional details with ink, stamps and ATC Mixup Missigman #1 Art Marks stencil. The pages are attached to one another by kraft tabs which are adhered to the front and back book covers. 
Inside the front cover, a stitched slots pocket holds a few individual flowers that were created using the paints with stencils and then fussy cut.
I added positive messages to go along with the beautiful botanicals on each page.
One positive thought can change the entire direction of our day. 
I hope that these messages can keep the focus on what is important.
After I painted the back cover's botanical stamped image, I stamped Dream Big into the central area then I added gold IZink pigment highlights to complete the project. 
I want to add that I recently took the "Stencil Magic" online class by Rae Missigman and Sandi Keene (PopUp Art Classes). This was enlightening and taught many ways to use stencils, and included watercolors, a medium that I had not really considered combining with stencils before. It definitely sparked some of the ideas that I put to use in this project, along with a quote from LadyBird Johnson
"where flowers bloom, so does hope"

I hope that you have enjoyed this project. 
Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by;
  be sure to stop by the other artists participating in the hop and leave comments along the way. 
There are wonderful projects and inspiring ideas!
~Ann
xxx

 Visit the Emerald Creek blog hop post by Kim Evans HERE
Visit Katelyn Grosart's blog post HERE


GIVEAWAY
A $25 Prize Pack from Emerald Creek!

Enter to win by leaving a comment below.
Then be sure to visit the other blogs in the hop and comment to win.
The winner will be selected on Monday November 23!
(One comment per blog please.)

10 comments:

Nancy Wethington said...

Beautiful Ann!

Redanne said...

Ann, this is such a beautiful botanical booklet, I really love how the pages are hinged together. I have been wondering about these watercolours for a while now .... but have just ordered them as I love the results you got! Thank you for the inspiration! Hugs, Anne xx

Rae Missigman said...

Ann this is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for showing off my stencils in such a beautiful and delightful way! ❤️

sharon g said...

Oh my GOSH, these are just gorgeous!!! I would LOVE to be able to make such amazing flowers. WOW!!!!

Sandy said...

The products are fabulous. Would love to try them all

Cathy F said...

Oh wow! I'm in love with those paints - so vibrant!

Betty D said...

I really liked these stencils and the colours chosen, but I loved the sentiments and the booklet idea most. Lovely!

PJ said...

Impressive! I just received a set of blank cards to create with & now I know exactly what i am going to do!
Thank you, Thank you.

Kim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Sharon you are our winner! Email info@emeraldcreek.co so we can send your prize.