Monday, April 24, 2023

the hands we are dealt: altered playing cards collaboration for StencilGirl®

 

"Fate is the cards you were given when you were born. Destiny is what you do with them." 
                         - Gina E. Jones

The StencilGirl® collaborations that Tina Walker dreams up are always an adventure! They challenge me to try new techniques, incorporate stencils into my artwork in unusual ways, and light a creative spark within me. The altered playing card collaboration was no different. The challenge delivered was simple: "alter a complete deck of playing cards. It can be as simple as collaging stenciled paper on the back sides of each card or as elaborate as altering both sides of each card with doodles, drawings, and (of course) stenciled parts using StencilGirl® stencils." 


"we cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the game"
-Randy Paulsch

The first order of business was to find a deck of cards to alter. My initial creative musings over how I would complete this challenge involved collaging stenciled papers to the deck in ways that would allow the cards to still be usable for playing games. With no intention to completely cover the cards, I wanted a deck that would provide an interesting base layer to build off of. I chose a deck of stylized Bicycle playing cards called Bourbon. I loved the coloration and thought that altering the face cards (or in particular their clothing) would be akin to creating paper dolls... In my eagerness to get started, I seem to have disregarded the actual size of a deck of cards. When the deck arrived, I realized that it would be nearly impossible to showcase stenciling in the areas that would be "clothing." I did however, love the coloration and retro vibe that the deck seemed to have. I needed to take a step back and reassess my original idea.


"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing those you hold well."
-Josh Billings

Each new idea that popped up was centered around the different suits in the deck, which would be a dead giveaway for anyone that would ever use this deck for playing a card game. This opened my mind to creating something altogether different from my altered deck. With the restriction of maintaining the integrity the card values removed, the possibilities were endless.


"Destiny plays its cards in a way that no one can comprehend."
-Anurag Shourie

I decided that I would create an interactive book with my deck. One that would contain inspiring quotes based on card playing, and that would showcase the style that drew me to this particular deck in the first place. With a plan in place, I searched through my ever growing stash of StencilGirl® stencils and chose a set that I felt would enhance the retro vibe of the deck. The Retro Chic stencil set by Lizzie Mayne contains five distinct designs, one larger and four smaller scaled stencils. For this project, I used three of the smaller scaled designs. 


"The key to success is playing the hand you were dealt like it was the hand you wanted."
-Kaitlyn Walsh

Within my book, each of the face cards has a central, rectangular portion removed. A matching rectangular section was removed from a number card of the same suit. A piece of clear fishing line is sandwiched between the two rectangles, which extends beyond the edges at both the top (crown) and bottom (vestments). The rectangles are glued together and then allowed to dry completely flat. I fussy cut each "royal" person from their respective rectangle. Since I intend to leave the face side of each royal unaltered, I stencil the "face side" of the outer frame pieces prior to assembling the spinning sections. 


"One should always play fairly when one has the winning cards."
-Oscar Wilde

The "face side" frames contain two layers of stenciling, first a layer of Golden Bronze iridescent acrylic paint is lightly stenciled through one of the designs. Once this layer has dried, a second layer of stenciling (through one of the other designs in the set) is added using black gesso. The easiest way to accomplish a uniform design on a large number of cards is to create a "jig." I use a masking tape guide to align each card in the same position. Once I determine the optimal stencil placement, the stencil is taped down at the top creating a hinge so that I can lift it between each card. While everything is set up, I also stencil the "face side" of each of my number cards while covering the central area with a mask. I stencil all of the cards with the first layer before changing the "jig"to accommodate the second layer of stenciling. The stenciling on the back sides of all cards is completed once the spinning pieces are in place. This allows the stenciling to line up when an open page abuts one that is solid.


"Life is not always a matter of holding good cards, but sometimes, playing a poor hand well."
-Jack London

To assemble the framed spinners, I locate the frames that match each royal person. Then, placing the fussy cut piece in the center opening, the extended ends of fishing line are sandwiched between the two frames, which are then adhered together. This can be done using double sided tape or glue, whichever you prefer. I used glue; however, using tape would be just as effective and also not require additional drying time. To create a uniform thickness for the book pages, you can also double up the number cards. When all of the page assembly is complete, it is time to stencil the reverse sides.


"Its not the cards you have that make you a winner or a loser."
-Doyle Brunson

The easiest and most efficient way to create a uniform appearance is to use the"jig" method described above. The reverse sides have one layer of stenciling, done with black gesso. When all of the stenciling is dry, I add gold details using a fine liner filled with acrylic paint. The detailed cards are set aside to dry overnight. 



The number cards in my book each contain an inspirational quote based on card playing. Each quote is printed on an inked vellum rectangle then attached to the card.




I cut chipboard to create the front and back book covers, these are covered with coordinating handmade paper. Stenciled cards are attached to the front and back. 

Following a YouTube video by Lisbeth Degn, I utilized a slip Knot binding technique. This type of binding works perfectly for individual pages. Each of my pages have three holes along the leading edge where the waxed cord knots them together.


Click below for a flip through video of my altered playing card book.


One of the best parts of the StencilGirl® collaborations is being able to see the other ways that artists have interpreted the challenge. Check out all of the awesome altered playing card projects that were created foe this challenge in Tina's blog post on StencilGirl Talk

Thanks so much for stopping by the blog today to check out my project, I truly appreciate you taking the time. I hope that maybe you will be inspired to create something today.

~Ann

Stencils used:

Retro Chic Stencils (Stencil Club April 2022) by Lizzie Mayne

5 comments:

L Mahaffey said...

Just gorgeous. Beautiful, kind, creative and lush.

A Pink said...

Wow! This is such an epic make Ann. You definitely played a winning hand with this one! Infact, imho you totally 'Aced it"!

xAx

Anonymous said...

It is stunning, Ann!
Susie

Words and Pictures said...

Simply stunning... what a rich treasure of an album.
Alison x

Anonymous said...

A genius project! Lush colors and poignant quotes.