As as the summer days grow shorter and preparations begin for the return to school, I often find myself contemplating the ocean. Maybe its the ebb and flow of the currents or perhaps just the peaceful lull it can induce. Regardless of the reason, whenever my thoughts drift to this wondrous aspect of nature, I often times envision the great depths where ships have gone to lie and sunken treasures abound. This is my inspiration for today's piece.
treasure chest. This heavyweight chipboard piece arrives flat in 16 pieces. I always find it easiest to arrange all the pieces as if I would be assembling it. This allows me to easily identify what areas will be exposed and which will be concealed, it also allows me to generate ideas on which finishes might work best.
I want the treasure chest to be finished on both the inside as well as the outside. I plan to finish the inner sides of the pieces before it is assembled, this is most easily completed using paints. I paint the inner sides of all the pieces that will be exposed with distress paint creating a look that will closely mimic the exterior finish I am planning to use.
The exterior of the treasure chest is covered with embossed wood grain paper that has been painted to look like real wood. I am awed by the incredibly realistic look of this new 3D folder. In order to achieve a finish that might appear on an old sunken chest, I emboss pieces of watercolor paper and color them with vintage photo spray stain and a bit of water (to move the stain around) then allow to air dry. Once dry, I coat the pieces with vintage collage medium. When this has completely dried, I paint a layer of walnut stain distress paint on the pieces and wipe mostly off with a damp cloth. This layer is dried with a heat gun. I color areas with black soot distress crayon and rub around with a wet finger to get the pigment into the crevices. I am really pleased with the result.
These "wood" papers are cut to fit each exterior side of the treasure chest. I adhere them with collage medium in matte vintage finish. I also cover the top of the lid with this paper. After covering the sides, I realize that the embossed paper is fairly thick and affects the wood strapping pieces. I decide to modify the chest a bit. I cut the bottom strap in half lengthwise and apply the exterior finish paper. This wraps the chest on the front and both sides. The top strap is also only used on the from and sides. I use the remaining pieces as blocking inside the chest when I attach my hinges.
Once all of the exterior papers are applied, I install two hinges at the back of the lid. The small antique brass hinges have tiny screws that are easily attached by poking a hole and simply screwing into the chipboard. A latching mechanism is installed on the front of the lid to keep it closed.
With the added hardware, the box can be be displayed in an open position, if desired.
I love how the treasure chest looks even before I begin to embellish it to become a sunken treasure chest. This piece could be used in so many different ways, even as a simple keepsake box.
Now that the base of my project is complete, I set to making all of the pieces to create an undersea scene. I use multiple greenery dies and cut prices to mimic sea grass, coral and kelp. All of these pieces are colored with distress inks. The coral pieces are colored with distress oxide and when dry, I coat them with a layer of glue and sprinkle with rock candy glitter. This gives it a bit of texture and sparkle. When I create my embellishments, I always like to make a lot more than I believe I will need. This gives me more flexibility in placement, and whatever is left over I simply keep for future projects. I also put together a couple of mermaids from some favorite stamp sets. The mermaids are colored with distress inks, and copic markers then embellished with pieces of the die cuts and small shells. I also add some finish to a few resin blanks that will complete my scene.
The die cut pieces are adhered to the treasure chest with a multi purpose adhesive and allowed to dry.
Lastly, I add some vintage jewelry to "spill" out of the treasure chest, and arrange the two mermaids. I prop open the chest with a golden edged shell and miscellaneous
relics and pearls adorn the scene.
I hope that you enjoy these final weeks of summer, and perhaps this sunken treasure has inspired you to get creative. I truly appreciate you stopping by today.
Frilly and Funkie Challenge: Back to Nature
Catherine Moore Character Constructions Stamps:
She Sells Seashells #1, #5, #7
E000, E00, E02, E04, E21, E57, 0, YR000, YR000
DecoColor Premium gold metallic paint marker
Distress collage medium: matte, vintage
Distress crayon: black soot
bundled sage, cracked pistachio, forest moss, ground expresso,
lucky clover, mermaid lagoon, peeled paint, walnut stain
Distress Oxide Inks:
fossilized amber, wild honey
Distress Spray Stain: vintage photo
black soot, vintage photo, walnut stain
Distress Stickles: clear rock candy
Gypsy Soul Laser Cuts:
Sandra Evertson Relics and Artifacts: Coquille
Distress watercolor paper, Mixed Media HeavystockTim Holtz/Sizzix 3-D Texture Fades: lumber
Tim Holtz/Sizzix Thinlits:
funky floral 1, funky floral 3, garden greens, holiday greens